This week we celebrate freedom day in South Africa, and here on Monday Munchies we celebrate the freedom that we have to live and eat healthy. We are grateful that we have access to knowledge, so we can educate ourselves and others regarding the food we consume. We are grateful that we have easy access to healthy food. We have the freedom to make informed decisions regarding our health, and we have the freedom to buy the products that will nourish us. The choice lies with you whether you will make use of that freedom.
Our recipe for today is a perfect mid-week dinner that is:
Easy weeknight Chili
- 1 whole Green Bell Peppers, roasted, seeded, and chopped
- 1 whole Jalapeño, roasted, seeded, and chopped
- 1 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 whole Vidalia Onion, chopped
- 2 cloves Garlic, minced
- 2 whole Tomato, seeded and chopped
- 4 oz Green Chilies
- 1/2 tsp Himalayan Pink Salt
- 1/2 tsp Ground Fresh Black Peppercorns
- 1 tsp Chipotle Powder
- 2 tsp Cumin
- 30 oz Diced Tomatoes
- 3 oz Tomato Paste
- 13 oz Black Beans, (optional, omit for strict-paleo)
- 1 lb Ground Beef, browned in a skillet first
- Roast the bell pepper and jalepeno, whole, at 450 degrees until the skin is charred, and peels away easily from the pepper. You can also accomplish this faster by grilling the whole peppers.
- While the peppers are roasting, prepare the rest of the ingredients for the chili.
- In a large pot, warm the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the onion and garlic, and saute until fragrant. Continue to cook until the onion starts to become translucent, turning the heat down to medium-low if the onion is browning.
- Turn the heat back up to medium, and add the chopped tomato, and green chilies.
- Add the seeded and chopped roasted green bell pepper, and jalepeno, and season with a pinch of salt and black pepper.
- Add the chipotle powder, and cumin, and stir to coat all of the vegetables with the spices.
- Add the diced tomatoes to the pot, as well as the tomato paste, and stir to combine.
- Drain and rinse the black beans (if using), and add to the pot.
- Add the browned ground beef, and stir to combine all ingredients.
- Season again with a pinch of salt and black pepper, and allow to bubble slightly for about 5 minutes, and then turn the heat down to low, and allow to simmer until serving.
- Serve with fresh cilantro.